Articles worth reading

Muntinlupa distributes 25,500 learning materials

account_balanceMuntinlupa access_time5 days ago

Muntinlupa Mayor Jaime Fresnedi (center) led the turn-over of 25,500 instructional materials for early childhood education division (ECED) learners in the city together with ECED acting chief Jenny Deuda Mercado (2nd from right) last October 13 at La...

DILG Secretary Eduardo Ano

New PNP chief to be appointed in November

account_balanceMetro Manila access_time4 days ago

Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Eduardo Año said he is set to submit the shortlist of candidates for the next chief of the Philippine National Police (PNP) to President Rodrigo Duterte before the end of October...

Former Vice President Jejomar Binay

Binay slams DSWD for inefficient 'ayuda' distribution

account_balanceMetro Manila access_time5 days ago

Former Vice President and now senatorial candidate Jejomar Binay critiicized the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) for the way it handled the distribution of cash to the poor. "Until now, some government officials are eit...

Quezon City News

Another QC convent reports Covid outbreak

account_balanceQuezon City chat_bubble_outline0 Comments

A third convent in Quezon City was hit by an outbreak of coronavirus disease (COViD-19) cases with 13 nuns reportedly being infected, according to a report by Manila Bulletin.

The nuns are reportedly from the convent of Stella Maris in Cubao, Quezon City.

This is the third convent to be hit by a surge in COVID-19 cases. The first two were the Religious of Virgin Mary Convent and the Convent of the Holy Spirit, both located in Quezon City.

At least 22 nuns and staff at the Convent of the Holy Spirit in Barangay Immaculate Conception tested positive for COVID-19.

According to the Quezon City government, the convent has 90 residents.

Of the positive cases, 13 are nuns and nine are staff, including the index case or the first documented case in the institution.

Fourteen infected individuals are fully vaccinated and the others have yet to receive their COVID-19 jabs.

Dr. Rolando Cruz, Quezon City Epidemiology and Disease Surveillance Unit (CESU) chief, said 46 individuals were swabbed last Sept. 10 while the rest refused to be tested at that time.

“Per our agreement with them, they will take care of the testing of the remaining 44 individuals and they will send us the results as soon as they come out,” said Cruz.

Swab results of the 46 showed that 25 have tested negative, while 22 were found positive for the virus, including the index case.

Cruz said the index case is a physical therapist who was reportedly exposed to a nun who succumbed to the virus earlier this month.

Majority of infected nuns are between 80 and101 years old.

Doctors from St. Luke’s Medical Center are monitoring the patients who are being attended to by caregivers.

The convent is now under a special concern lockdown.

Earlier, the city government also reported a COVID-19 outbreak at the Religious of the Virgin Mary convent in Barangay Kaunlaran, New Manila, Quezon City, affecting 114 nuns and staff.

According to CESU, 61 nuns and 53 staff contracted COVID-19.

CESU said 22 patients are asymptomatic, 86 are experiencing mild symptoms, four are moderate cases, and two are severe cases.

The two severe cases are now being treated at the ICU, according to CESU.

The convent is now under granular lockdown.

Quezon City gov’t monitors closed-setting facilities

The Quezon City government is closely monitoring all closed-setting and long-term care facilities following the recent COVID-19 outbreaks in orphanages and convents.

“Hindi pwedeng reactive tayo sa tuwing magkakaroon ng outbreak. Nakikita natin na sunod-sunod na ang mga reported outbreak sa ganitong high-risk facilities, unahan na natin (We cannot be reactive every time there is an outbreak. We see a series of reported outbreaks in such high-risk facilities, let’s go ahead). We will test them and check if they have strict health protocols in place,” Mayor Joy Belmonte said.

Belmonte directed the CESU to determine the vaccination status of all individuals staying and working in these facilities.

“Kailangan nating malaman kung may bakuna ba ang mga ito at gaya ng ginawa natin sa ibang nursing homes at opisina, tayo na ang pupunta sa kanila para sila ay mabakunahan kung marami sa kanila ang takot lumabas o ayaw lumabas ngayong panahon ng pandemya (We need to know if they have already been vaccinated, and as we have done in other nursing homes and offices, we will go to them so that they can be vaccinated if many of them are afraid to go out or do not want to go out during the pandemic),” she said.

The city government has already provided paracetamol, vitamins, hygiene kits, face masks, alcohol, soap, rice, and food packs to the affected individuals.

A total of 122 children and personnel of the Gentle Hands Orphanage in Barangay Bagumbuhay, Quezon City also tested positive for COVID-19.

Out of the total number, 99 are children with ages 18 and below.

A total of 143 individuals were tested and 118 yielded positive results for COVID-19 while four were identified as index cases.

date_rangeDate Published
1 month ago
shareShare article
folder_openArticle tags
content_copyCategorized under

Share your thoughts with us

Related Articles

Muntinlupa shortens curfew hours 

account_balanceMuntinlupa chrome_reader_mode1 week ago

Adopting a Metro Manila Council resolution, the Muntinlupa City Council passed an ordinance on Monday amending the curfew hours that will be imposed in the city. Majority Floor Leader Raul Corro said that the new curfew hours in Muntinlupa will be f...

18 Marikina households to exit 4Ps program

account_balanceMarikina chrome_reader_mode1 week ago

A total of 18 households in Marikina City will graduate from the government’s Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program (4Ps), the Department of Social Welfare and Development's (DSWD) said in a report by Philippine News Agency. The DSWD said th...

Photo courtesy of Japan Embassy in Manila

Pre-cooked rice donated to Covid-affected families 

account_balanceManila chrome_reader_mode1 week ago

The Japanese government has donated two metric tons of pre-cooked rice to the Philippines as part of its pandemic aid to the country, the Japanese Embassy in Manila said in a report by Philippine News Agency. In a statement, the Embassy said the don...

Let's Stay Connected Like us on our Facebook page.
×
Click on the article to continue reading
Quezon City adopts no contact apprehension system Red Cross pushes saliva test Vaccines from COVAX to arrive in Q1 Makati Shangri-La to close doors on Feb. 1 Cities in NCR to start vaccination simultaneously Mother, girlfriend of Filipino infected with UK variant also test positive Send Press Release MNC Facebook Page MNC Twitter Page MNC Instagram Page LGU Spotlight Barangay Front Business Sports Entertainment Metro Gen Metro Feature